Monday 22 August 2016

Titanfall 2 Tech Test Thoughts.


By Sam Coles:

I can’t believe it’s been two years since the release of the first Titanfall which was an Xbox exclusive. The game was a lot of fun but it lacked longevity due to the lack of modes and some people wanted a singleplayer campaign which I didn’t care as it was designed with multiplayer in mind. Respawn have allowed players to take part in a “Tech Test” which is developer speak for a beta and what I have played is a lot of fun, I’m going to go over some of new tricks you have as a pilot etc.

You have three game modes you can try out in this tech test you have Amped Hardpoint which is a new iteration of the mode where you capture points but you can amp those position which give you amplified weapons which is a nice addition. You have bounty hunt where you collect cash when you kill players, but there is a catch you have to deposit the cash back at your base to keep the score and your base can be raided so it keeps the situation tense and fair. Finally you have titan vs titan which is a deathmatch mode where you’re only titans which to be honest it’s alright I didn’t really enjoy this mode in the original game.

The pilot controls have tuned compared to the original and they feel like they have weight compared to the floaty nature of the first game. Your character feels more versatile as you bounce from wall to wall, coupled with the new grappling hook where you can gain some insane momentum and pull of some awesome kills. Titans feel quicker and not as sluggish like in the first game and I think it has something to do with the maps being wide open with large fields compared to the cramped cities and industrial areas from the first game.

The problems I had with this tech test are mostly networking issues which were patched throughout the weekend, but there was horrendous lag and times where I would get kicked out of games. Another problem I had was that Titans are far too easy to destroy and you find yourself in a Titan only for a few seconds as they only take a few shots to take down. Another aspect I wasn’t a fan of was the new rodeo system because you no longer hop on a Titan’s back and start taking pot shots, no instead it plays a little pre-animated takedown where you remove a power core and you run away with tail between your legs.


Overall I had a lot of fun with this little taster of Titanfall 2, it has made me excited for the full release which is the 28th of October and I can’t wait for the singleplayer offerings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive