Thursday 21 November 2019

Editorial | Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - The beauty of exploration.



By Sam Coles:

Assassin’s Creed was a franchise that I took a sizable break from over the years, after Syndicate I kind of got a tad tired of it where I skipped out on Origins and Odyssey until now. Odyssey is a game that I’m kicking myself for not playing when it first came out because it is truly a beautiful game and dare I say it one of the best games in the series, I want to say thank you to Ubisoft for providing me a copy to experience it. Let me preface this by saying this is not a review, at the time of writing I’m 40 hours in with no end in sight think of this as me just going over my experience of exploring the world and the characters I have interacted with.

Odyssey if wasn’t obvious enough is set in Ancient Greece, and you have the choice of picking two Spartan siblings Alexios or Kassandra. I picked Alexios and I’m glad that I did because his personality is fantastic, he has this dry wit and sarcasm in conversation which made me laugh a few times. He doesn’t give a damn about what people think of him, he can put people down with his quips and if that doesn’t work he just kicks their teeth in. I haven’t been this invested in a main character since Ezio in Assassin’s Creed II, the reason why he is great is because he doesn’t always take a situation seriously he knows when to laugh and he knows when to keep his mouth shut when the situation arises.

The game starts off really strong with an epic battle; you could not have an Ancient Greek adventure without starting off as King Leonidas during The Battle of Thermopylae as you impale Persians. It very much feels like 300 even down to Leonidas having a somewhat of a Scottish accent, but I digress. After that it slows down as you start your adventure as Alexios or Kassandra, and this is a good thing as it lets you get acquainted with the world that is about to unfold in front of you.   

Once the game really begins you can just explore the first island you start off on, now it’s not like Skyrim levels of exploration where you can just go in the other direction. No this is due to the fact that game has swapped gears and is now a role playing experience, when I first heard this game was going in that direction I had a lot of trepidation within me. However now that I have played 40 hours of the game it works, it was a natural evolution of the series and yes one could argue that it doesn’t feel like an Assassin’s Creed game but the elements are still there.  

Let’s talk about the world in this game, and I have to say to it is absolutely gorgeous Ubisoft have crafted an excellent recreation of Ancient Greece. The world is bright, colourful and it reflects back on me with the warm sun beating down as I traverse the world on foot or by horseback. All the cities are grand in scale with people going about their business, not only that each area has nooks and crannies for you to explore with different side quests to take on. It is just absolutely staggering how much effort and detail that has been put into this game, it is truly a stunning and immersive world to explore!

Gameplay wise I have to say they have finally got the climbing mechanics right in this game, the problem I had with the other games in the series were the controls. Not that they were bad by any means, however when running in the older games your character had a bad habit of suddenly attaching themselves to a nearby wall like a dog in heat. It got rather arduous over time and fortunately they fixed it in this game, it fast fluid and I never found myself stuck on geometry. Combat too is great as it requires timing with parrying and dodges, you can’t just stand there like a waiter waiting to be summoned to then counter stab them. No you have to actually fight people in this game, and it requires timing or if you can’t be bothered just Spartan Kick them off a cliff to kill them instantly which never stops being funny.

Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey is something that I’m glad I have finally started playing, yes it took me over a year to get to but it is all the more rewarding. It shows that Ubisoft are capable of crafting beautiful worlds with fun main characters you want to stay invested with, not only that they tweaked the gameplay to which I think is absolutely perfect. Yes the RPG elements may come across as not Assassin’s Creed, but ultimately I think it was a good shift for the franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive